Bariatric surgery (weight loss surgery) includes a variety of procedures performed on people who are obese. Weight loss is achieved by reducing the size of the stomach with a gastric band or through removal of a portion of the stomach (sleeve gastrectomy or biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch) or by resecting and re-routing the small intestines to a small stomach pouch (gastric bypass surgery).
Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
- The benefits of this surgery are more than skin deep. Bariatric Surgery will not only help you look better but also help you feel better and healthier.
- Most patients lose at least 50 per cent of excess body weight. Most people with hypertension, High BP and/or diabetes no longer need medications.
- Reduction of periods of sleep apnea.
- Eliminates or slows the disabling effects of arthritis.
- Improved self-esteem and more energy
Longer term risks and complications of weight-loss surgery vary
Depending on the type of surgery they can include:
- Bowel Obstruction
- Dumping Syndrome, Causing Diarrhea, Nausea or Vomiting
- Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)
- Stomach Perforation
- Death (Rare)